A few days in Edinburgh
Two weeks ago now I visited Edinburgh for a few days. The main reason for that was to see Anohni live. I had been a huge fan when she was in Antony and the Johnsons, and this year she released a new solo album Hopelessness as Anohni which is incredible - she has such a harrowing beautiful voice.
The gig itself was an experience to say the least. Very much a performance with Anohni dressed all in black with a black hood covering her face and projected videos of various different people mouthing the words to the songs. At times it was very emotional due to the performance of the individuals mouthing the words to her songs, often sobbing through the words, all in all an incredible gig.
Whilst in Edinburgh we visited a few different places, so here is a run down on the things we did...
1. Walked around the Princess Gardens and visited Scottish National Gallery
2. Visited the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, which is absolutely incredible inside by the way!
3. We went to see Anohni at the Edinburgh Playhouse
4. Climbed up Arthur's Seat, the views over Edinburgh are incredible!
5. Visited Portobello beach, I would highly recommend The Beach House for an ice cream or a cake!
6. Visted The Elephant Cafe, the cafe that J.K. Rowling wrote the first Harry Potter books. It is a must visit for every Harry Potter fan, however it does get quite busy, so bare this in mind, the food is amazing though and they do a fab latte! The cafe is covered in everything elephant related, and the toilet walls, doors and mirrors are absolutely covered in Harry Potter related lovin'.
7. We visited Stills Gallery, a photography gallery on Cockburn Street. Being a photography student and nerd I really loved this gallery, they also have a little shop that stocks film and darkroom paper which is cool!
8. Had a mooch in the shops along Cockburn Street. This street has a lovely selection of shops, so would recommend having a little look around this area!